Saturday, September 17, 2011

FREE COOKING: Red Chard & Sweet Potatoes


  I've always seen red and rainbow chard at the store, but felt hesitant to buy it, because I didn't really know how to cook it. So this time I decided to buy and give it a try! It was actually not as hard as I expected. I approached it as I would collard greens or kale, because they sort of look alike. And it worked! 



So first I cleaned each leaf.




Then I cut off the stems and chopped the leafs. I did chop a little bit of the stem too because it looked so pretty :)



Then I chopped a red onion, a sweet potato and some garlic


Crushed the garlic. I like lots of garlic flavor! :)




Sautéed the onions with a little bit of canola oil on medium/high heat, then added the garlic and seasoning of choice (this time I felt like adding a little bit of ginger powder, cayenne pepper & salt. Sautéed for few more minutes.
(Gotta keep adding little bits of water as needed so it won't burn)




Added the sweet potatoes, sautéed for a little bit then closed the lid to let the potatoes cook a little.
(Gotta keep adding little bits of water as needed so it won't burn)


Once I saw the potatoes were starting to cook, I added the chopped chard & a little bit of water...YES, so it won't burn! Hehehe...trust me, I've burned food MANY times until I finally learned the trick!


Closed the lid and let the chard cook.


 Once I saw the chard was cooked, but not overcooked (the color should still be vibrant and not too dark), I removed from heat and added some sliced almonds and golden raisins for garnish...just because I had some around and thought would add a little "somethin' somethin'" to the dish!


That's it! 
Hope you like as much as I did.
:)


No comments:

Post a Comment