Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vegan Fruit & Nut Bread (sugar-free)



This homemade bread is so easy, so good and so healthy that there is really no reason not to make it! I was so curious when I first came across this recipe, because it has no eggs, no oil, no "substitutes" and not even sugar! And best of all, it tastes GREAT! Approved by me and my little one as well (who officially outgrew her wheat intolerance...Woohooo!!!)


So here is what you'll need:
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (original recipe uses Spelt, but I didn't have it)
  • 1 cup of oat flour
  • 1/4 cup of ground flax-seed 
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 2 tsp of cinnamon 
  • 1 cup of chopped nuts (mix almonds, walnuts & pecans)
  • 1 cup of chopped dried fruit (any you like-I used a mix of prunes, pears, apples & apricot)
  • 1 large apple chopped and simmered for about 5 minutes, then smashed with a fork to resemble a chunky apple sauce
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of rolled oats to top

What you'll do:
  • Preheat oven 375F
  • Mix well all dry ingredients (flours, flax, salt, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon) except for nuts and fruits
  • Add water to dry ingredient mixture and knead it until smooth.
  • Once mixture turned into a dough, you can add nuts and fruits and then fold dough.
  • I sprayed my bread pan with cooking spray and then covered the pan with rolled oats, and put the dough in. 
  • Finally I topped it with some oats as well.
  • Bake it for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
* I chopped the nuts I used for this bread in my food processor so my 14 month old daughter could eat with ease, but you can leave it whole or in larger chunks as shown in the original recipe I'll be placing bellow!

ENJOY!






This bread will definitely become a staple in my kitchen, and I can't wait to play around some more with this recipe, trying out different combinations of fruits!!! I got the original recipe at this awesome blog: Spoonful of Sugar Free. Hers look even more appetizing!!!

Hope you enjoy this bread as much as I did ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment