Tuesday, January 31, 2012

FREE COOKING: Spanish Frittata






Recently I watched yet another travel movie that made me go head of heels over this other destination: Spain!

It looks like a perfect package if you ask me. It seems like you get the best of all worlds, you have the beautiful old architecture that allows you to travel in time, you have new modern ones, and then you have amazing looking beaches! Check out more photos on the National Geographic site, they are mind blowing! I also remember a Spanish prof. I once had in college from Spain, telling me that their culinary is now at the top in Europe! Oh...and we can't forget about their Spanish guitar music, soooo enchanting!

This dish I'm sharing today did not come as a direct attempt to make a Spanish dish (perhaps subliminally after having watched the movie? hehe), but turned out that as I had the finished product at hand, I realized it was a lot similar to the Spanish Frittata dish. So that's what I'm calling it!




Spain Photos


Spain Photos






 
Pretty amazing, eh??? But now let's get started on that "Spanish Frittata!"



I started out with 6 eggs, garlic salt & black pepper to taste! Added to a bowl and beat a little by hand. Set it aside.



Chopped 1 onion, minced some garlic (go by your taste, as always, I like lots!), got some frozen red/green/orange/yellow bell pepper mix and chopped 1 tomato (large I should say!). Started stir-frying onions first, then added garlic, then frozen bell peppers and tomatoes. Let it cook until all water dried. Then added dried oregano, basil & thyme to taste! Used the Zesty Italian dipping oil for extra flavor [see here]. It's one of my favorite things in the kitchen now :)



Then added fresh chopped spinach, and let it cook a little. Cooks very fast!


Up to this point I was thinking about doing scrambled eggs, but this is where things changed a bit! 

Instead, I switched the veggies to a smaller skillet, added the lightly beaten eggs on top and some pieces of leftover chicken I had in the fridge (prepared with lime and smoked paprika), covered with lid and let it cook under medium heat.


Once eggs looked cooked, I decided to try something I've learned from watching Julia Child! [see here]


Transferred it to a baking dish, added some cheese on top and let it brown! Except I didn't add butter and oil to the cheese as she would tell you to "help" brown it...hehe.

Use a long spatula to first release eggs from bottom of skillet before transferring. In case it breaks, it doesn't matter, you can just fix it on top of the baking dish, and once cheese melt on top it will "glue" the parts back together!


I believe I placed under 400 F



While it's browning, how about some more of beautiful Spain???


Spain Photos

Spain Photos



Spain Photos

Spain Pictures

Spain Pictures

Spain Photos

Spain Pictures

Spain Photos


Amazing, isn't it?! 

So here comes the final product:




It turned out awesome!!! My husband could not stop raving about this dish. I only wish I could eat it sitting in one of these Spanish alleys bellow :)

Spain Photos

These photos of Spain are courtesy of TripAdvisor and National Geographic
Food ones are a courtesy of me :)

Apparently cheese will brown without adding extra butter or oil on top of it! 
Who would have thought, Julia Child?

No comments:

Post a Comment