Friday, January 13, 2012

FREE COOKING: Whole Wheat Gnocchi with Collard Greens


One of the things I got at the store the other day along with Udon Noodles and the Zesty Italian dipping oil, was  whole wheat Gnocchi! I come from an Italian family on my father's side, so every Sunday we would eat some sort of pasta at my grandmother's house. She is a fantastic cook, and so are my aunts! And I remember Gnocchi being my very favorite meal at their homes. So creamy in your mouth, just delicious! 

I've never attempted to make homemade Gnocchi, which I probably should! But I also know that my family's Gnocchi were not the "healthy" type, so when I saw this whole wheat Gnocchi, I couldn't resist but dream of a healthy tasty Gnocchi, that I could enjoy and feel good about it.

As expected, this Gnocchi was made with things I already had at home, so for the sauce I used a jar of organic tomato basil pasta sauce, since I didn't have enough fresh tomatoes for the sauce. It was actually very quick and easy since most of the ingredients were already prepared!

Ingredients I used:
  • Whole wheat Gnocchi
  • Organic tomato basil pasta sauce
  • Lots of garlic  :)
  • Finely chopped collard greens
  • Zesty Italian dipping oil *this made ALL the difference*

How I made it: 
  • First cook the Gnocchi. With Gnocchi it's easy to know when they are ready because they rise to the top of the pan. Then you can just remove them as they rise. 
  • Added some of the Zesty Italian oil in a non-stick skillet and brought to a medium heat. Here it is again in case you've missed it in previous posts:




  • Then added the minced garlic (me likes lots of garlic as you probably already know!) and let it cook for a few minutes.
  • Then added the tomato sauce and let it boil, then turned heat to simmer.
  • Added collard greens
  • Finally added cooked Gnocchi
  • Sprinkled some dried basil, thyme and salt (oregano would work well too!)
Spicy, tangy, garlicky, creamy and simply delicious with a fresh bread loaf on the side to dip in this pungent sauce! YUM, YUM, YUM....I'll be making that again ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment