Thursday, January 12, 2012

JUST 4 KIDS: Homemade Teething Biscuits




I first heard of these homemade biscuits from a friend who was giving one to her daughter, and I thought they were simply fantastic!

Have you walked through a baby food isle in a supermarket lately? It is sickening (to me at least) to see how we came to such a low point in our eating consumption as a society, that we feed even our most fragile ones, who are in most need of premium nutrition for their growing and developing minds and bodies, not whole foods (where real nutrients comes from) but processed stuff that comes in packages, "ready to eat", raped of all its REAL nutrition and often "fortified" with synthetic forms of it! We teach our children to consume junk/processed foods from the very start, and then wonder why they only like eating the unhealthy stuff! 

We've become so artificial as a society, that we no longer appreciate WHOLE FOODS-not the grocery store- but actual food that grows from the ground! The kind that grows in trees, bushes and comes from nature. They are becoming more and more rarity in people's meals; instead a man-altered manipulated variety is growing more and more abundant. Artificiality could define the society we live in, it seems prevalent in almost all aspects of modern life.

It saddens me deeply how we as a society have lost touch with real foods, and have been sucked into this marketing controlled, food industry that has defiled our society! It destroys our health, mutates our taste buds, dictates what  the majority of this country (even other countries now) eats, and the worst part: we're financing it!!!

But I digress...so as you can see, I got REALLY excited when I found out I could make homemade teething biscuits that are 100% healthy for my little one! My friend sent me the website where she got the recipe from, Everyday Champagne, and I went straight to it!

My first batch I used oat flour, oatmeal baby cereal and apple & apricot sauce. It is so ridiculously easy to make, that it leaves me with no excuse not to!

 

Recipe for this first batch:

  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1 cup of oatmeal baby cereal
  • 1 cup of apple/apricot sauce
  • 1/4 tsp of cinammon
  • 1/8 tsp of allspice
See details of preparation on  Everyday Champagne! I did use cookie cutters to shape some of them, but I tell you, this is no easy job! The dough gets VERY sticky, so it's very hard to shape them. Much easier to just mold them the standard long shape. But I can't resist and usually take my time into making them into hearts and bears ;) hehe...

For my second batch I used this instead of the oatmeal baby cereal:


Also, I used pumpkin puree instead of the apple/apricot sauce, and added some dates for sweetness! 

It doesn't matter how I make it, it's always a success with little V! She loves them, and loves chewing on them. I took the advice from Everyday Champagne and left mine in the freezer to stay cool and soothe her gums even more. We still gotta a long way to go in the teeth department, so I'll probably keep these stocked in the freezer for a while! 

Thanks Everyday Champagne for awesome recipes we all feel good feeding our children!!! ;)

2 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest thing ever! Thank you for trying one of my recipes! I actually just joined Pinterest and pinned this post, if that's ok. Hopefully youll get a lot of traffic from it! http://pinterest.com/pin/220324606739994953/
    You said everything perfectly. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete